Up to date list of documents required to obtain a passport and birth certificate in Mexico.

Required documents and steps to obtain a birth certificate and a Mexican passport for a minor

Registro Civil (Civil Register, hereinafter - RC) - place of obtaining a birth certificate and individual number - CURP


  1. Hospital certificate - issued when the child is discharged to obtain a Certificate;
  2. Parents' passports and copies of the first pages;
  3. Parents' birth certificates translated into Spanish and apostilled;
  4. Completed questionnaire issued by the RC;
  5. Electricity bill with a copy of the apartment / house owner's ID and his / her signature on it;
  6. Two witnesses with passports and copies of the first pages of their passports;

Procedure for obtaining a birth certificate

After leaving the clinic, you need to go to the RC, take a questionnaire, fill out at home and prepare a package of documents, which is taken to the RC and submitted to one of the employees.

You will then be prompted for the day you receive your birth certificate. On the day the birth certificate is issued, you must appear with the child and two witnesses.

You need to have your passports with you.

Issuance of a certificate is free of charge, copies - for an additional fee.

Payment is made on the spot, to the cashier.

After issuing a certificate, you are immediately issued a CURP.

Also, on the day the certificate is issued, you can request to make official copies of the birth certificate. Copies will be needed in the future.

The next step is to make an apostille of copies of the birth certificate.

The apostille is made in the capital of the state of Quintana Roo - Chetumal.


Obtaining a Mexican passport

A Mexican passport will be required for the child to leave the country, but you can also leave with a certificate from the embassy of your country. If you do not plan to leave the country, then you do not need to make a passport right away.


The first passport is issued for a period of one to three years.

To obtain a passport, you need to prepare the following documents:

  1. Parents' passports;
  2. Child's medical card with photo and stamp on the photo. The card must contain the first vaccinations of the child. Cartilla nacional de Salud is issued on the basis of a birth certificate or by your pediatrician, it can also be obtained from the state hospital of the city where the child was born (hospital general);
  3. Birth certificate of a child (original);
  4. Copy of the birth certificate (certified in the state capital);
  5. Paid receipt (printed when registering on the site);
  6. The photo


To submit documents and obtain a passport, registration is required on the website - https://www.gob.mx/tramites/ficha/pasaporte-ordinario-para-menores-de-edad-con-la-presencia-de-ambos-padres-o -quienes-ejercen-patria-potestad / SRE117

We are waiting for our turn, we get a passport, we fly home.

Have questions? Ask for help!




NAMEEnter your name
PHONE*Add zeros at the end if needed
email*Enter your e-email
Accept Terms*


get offer